• FDFA
  • FDFA
  • FDFA
E-mail Print PDF

Border ID Requirements


What I.D. is required when traveling across a land border to the U.S. or Canada?


Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that requires all travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other approved secure document when entering the United States from within the western hemisphere.

For a list of WHTI compliant documents - click here
For a WHTI Fact Sheet – click here

Land & Water Ports of Entry

Travelling to the United States by Land & Water:

All travellers are required to present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents when entering the United States by land or water:

  • a passport
  • a NEXUS card;
  • a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card
  • an enhanced driver's licence (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented - see below for a list of provinces

Enhanced Driver's License

For information on States and Provinces currently issuing Enhanced Driver's License, a WHTI compliant document
Click Here


Enhanced Drivers License


For information on applying for a NEXUS card, a WHTI compliant document  Click Here





Children's ID requirements - Click Here

Travelling to Canada by Land & Water:

For those entering into Canada, you will require a birth certificate and/or photo identification such as a Driver's License.

For information click here

Get Your PasspoRTS

For American citizens applying for their first passport U.S. Department of State Web site : click here

Cost: Adults 16 years and older - $100 US (valid for 10 years) and youth under 16 years of age $85 US (valid for 5 years).

For American citizens renewing a passport U.S. Department of State Web site
click Here

Cost: Adults 16 years and older $75 US.



For Canadian citizens Passport Canada Web site: click here (There is a single form for initial applications and renewals.)

Cost: Adults 16 years and older - $87 CDN, Youth 3 - 15 years - $37 CDN and under 3 years of age - $22. Valid for 5 years.


For more information on border travel, please refer to the Canadian Border Services Agency Website